Welcome to The NHL Arena

Welcome to The NHL Arena, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of The NHL Arena by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

GDT: Buffalo Sabres vs. New York Islanders, 2.23.13

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Vanek Fan 26

Vanek Fan 26

Enforcer

• Fan
  • PipPip
  • 458 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:4
  • Position:Left Wing

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:06 PM

13zd1l4.jpg@34i33og.jpg
5-8-1 ------ 6-9-1
7:00 PM EST
MSG PLUS/MSG-Buffalo 

Season Series

Second of three meetings. The Islanders badly outshot the Sabres 43-15 at Nassua Coliseum on Feb. 9, but the visitors still came away with a 3-2 victory thanks to the brilliance of Ryan Miller in goal.

Big Story

Ron Rolston makes his home debut as Buffalo coach and takes a crack at his first NHL win. Rolston was named to the position Wednesday after Lindy Ruff was fired, and he made his debut behind the bench in Thursday's 3-1 loss in Toronto.

Team Scopes

Islanders

Despite residing at the bottom of the Atlantic Division, where the team has finished each of the past five seasons, New York ranks in the top 10 of the League in offense and has shown some pluck in coming back to win several recent games. That was the case on Thursday, as the Islanders dug themselves holes of 2-0 and 3-1 before rallying on Matt Moulson's second power-play goal of the night and a score by Frans Nielsen that forced overtime. That's where Thomas Hickey scored his first NHL goal at the 3:12 mark for a thrilling 4-3 victory.

"I don't think I've ever had a better feeling in hockey," said Hickey, a 2007 first-round pick by the Kings who was picked up on waivers on Jan. 15. "That's special and the setting was unique playing here and being in overtime. I've waited a long time to get that opportunity. It's just a very good feeling and I'm thankful."

Sabres

Rolston got a first-hand look Thursday at some of the problems that have plagued Buffalo, dropping the team into the Northeast basement and getting Ruff dismissed after more than 14 seasons as coach. The Sabres entered Friday having allowed the most shots per game in the League (33.6) and with the fifth-worst team goals-against average (3.28). Miller faced 36 shots against the Maple Leafs and stopped 33, but with the Sabres' only offense coming courtesy of a Tyler Ennis goal in the first period, they lost their third in a row.

"I think we got better in some areas, I really did," Rolston said. "We did a little bit of work this morning before the pregame skate -- as much as much as we could without overwhelming them with all kinds of different things. I saw some positive things."

Who's Hot

Kane has a goal and two assists during a three-game points streak for the Jets. Alexander Burmistrov had a goal and an assist Sunday. … Vanek snapped a three-game drought with his NHL-leading 12th goal for the Sabres. Hodgson has goals in consecutive games. Christian Ehrhoff has a goal and three assists over the last two games.

Team Leaders

Islanders

Goals: John Tavares - 11
Assists: John Tavares - 11
+/-: Brian Strait - 3

GAA: Evgeni Nabokov - 3.11
SV%: Evgeni Nabokov - .895
Wins: Evgeni Nabokov - 7

Sabres

Goals: Thomas Vanek - 12
Assists: Thomas Vanek - 13
+/-: Steve Ott - 4

GAA: Ryan Miller - 2.87
SV%: Ryan Miller - .915
Wins: Ryan Miller - 6

Team Injuries

Islanders

Jesse Joensuu - sports hernia surgery

Matt Carkner - lower body

Sabres

Ville Leino - strained right hip

Jordan Leopold - upper body
Andrej Sekera - charley horse

.:Sources:.
[url="http://www.nhl.com/i...avid=sb:preview"]Game Preview[nhl.com][/url]

Islanders Stats
Sabres Stats
Injuries

This point has been edited by Vanek Fan 26: 23 February 2013 - 02:06 PM

#2 OFFLINE   Chris TMC

Chris TMC

Sniper

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,699 Points:
  • Team:
  • Position:Left Defense

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:31 PM

I am very interested in seeing how the Isles come out tonight after... 'the change'.

LET'S
GO
ISLANDERS
! !
! !

#3 OFFLINE   Chris TMC

Chris TMC

Sniper

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,699 Points:
  • Team:
  • Position:Left Defense

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:03 AM

WOW! OK, then- shutout it is!!!!

Great game by the Isles- a fantastic showing.