Welcome to The NHL Arena

Welcome to The NHL Arena, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of The NHL Arena by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

GDT: Chicago Blackhawks vs. Edmonton Oilers, 2.25.13

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Erik C.

Erik C.

100 Point Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,842 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:50
  • Position:Center

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:18 PM

February 25, 2013

United Center, Chicago, Illinois

Television:

Radio:

From NHL.com.

Season series: This is the first of three meetings.

Big story: The Blackhawks continue to rewrite the history books with each passing game. Chicago made it 18 straight games to start the season without a regulation loss with Sunday night’s 1-0 win against the Columbus Blue Jackets at the United Center.

Team scope:

Oilers: Monday marks the beginning of a nine-game, 17-day road trip for Edmonton. The Oilers closed a five-game homestand Saturday, when they earned a 3-2 shootout victory at Rexall Place. Jordan Eberle and Teemu Hartikaineneach scored for the Oilers in regulation, while Eberle and Sam Gagner tallied in the shootout to help Edmonton get back to the .500 mark. Nikolai Khabibulin finished with 34 saves.

"We were very disappointed with the way the last couple games went and the importance at this point was clear," Oilers coach Ralph Krueger said. "It's a compliment to the team to come back in a game of this magnitude. To go on the road now with these points gives us some good energy here."

BlackhawksCorey Crawford was back between the pipes Sunday night for the first time in 12 days, but you could hardly tell. Crawford stopped all 28 shots he faced, allowing Andrew Shaw’s second-period goal to stand up as the Blackhawks made it 18 in a row without a regulation loss as they edged the Blue Jackets on home ice.

"I just focus on whatever comes at me, but our guys did a good job to let me see pucks, clear rebounds and a couple times made some big blocks on a couple backdoor plays," Crawford said. "It feels good to get back in there and play again.”

Who’s hot: Eberle has three goals in the past four games for the Oilers, while Chicago’s goaltending tandem of Crawford and Ray Emery has allowed just one goal of the past two contests.

Injury report: Edmonton will be without forwards Taylor Hall (suspended), Anton Lander (foot), Ryan Jones (eye) andShawn Horcoff (hand) and defenseman Andy Sutton (knee). … Blackhawks center Dave Bolland is day-to-day with a lower-body injury.

Expected In Goal:

(Not yet confirmed as of post time.)

#2 OFFLINE   damned

damned

Pacific Division

• League Executive
  • 40,054 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:25

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:27 PM

Lets go Oilers!

#3 OFFLINE   damned

damned

Pacific Division

• League Executive
  • 40,054 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:27 PM

Khabibulin hey?

He has played well, don't get me wrong, but I still wish they would ride Dubnyk for this season.

#4 OFFLINE   JR Ewing

JR Ewing

Checker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,425 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:73

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:38 PM

Khabibulin hey?

He has played well, don't get me wrong, but I still wish they would ride Dubnyk for this season.

None of this "hot hand" bullshit; Dubnyk should get the start. Khabibulin won the last game, but was also after punching about 10-12 rebounds right in the middle. When he does that against the Hawks, they'll tear him a new one.

Generally speaking, I've like Ralph Krueger, but I don't like him playing his #2, particularly against a top team.

JR

This point has been edited by JR Ewing: 25 February 2013 - 05:38 PM

#5 OFFLINE   damned

damned

Pacific Division

• League Executive
  • 40,054 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:43 PM

None of this "hot hand" bullshit; Dubnyk should get the start. Khabibulin won the last game, but was also after punching about 10-12 rebounds right in the middle. When he does that against the Hawks, they'll tear him a new one.

Generally speaking, I've like Ralph Krueger, but I don't like him playing his #2, particularly against a top team.

JR

Exactly right sir.

Dubnyk is supposed to be the #1, play him.

#6 OFFLINE   HockeyLady82

HockeyLady82

Scrub

• Fan
  • Pip
  • 287 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:1
  • Position:Goaltender

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:13 PM

GO HAWKS!

#7 OFFLINE   Big Chief Tomahawk

Big Chief Tomahawk

Chicago Black Hawks

• General Manager
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,810 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:11
  • Position:Left Defense

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:32 PM

Good goal. Make it stick Hawks!!

#8 OFFLINE   Big Chief Tomahawk

Big Chief Tomahawk

Chicago Black Hawks

• General Manager
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,810 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:05 PM

Habi was Captain Rebound & we finally burned him on it. Wah-hoo Hawkies!!!

Just glad I didn't jinx the streak. :gap:

This point has been edited by Big Chief Tomahawk: 25 February 2013 - 11:06 PM

#9 OFFLINE   Craig Simpson

Craig Simpson

Sniper

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,551 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:31
  • Position:Goaltender

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:17 PM

Well, we got a point against the best team in the league without our best player and our backup goaltender.  Can't really complain too much.

#10 OFFLINE   damned

damned

Pacific Division

• League Executive
  • 40,054 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:46 AM

They got a point. Thanks to Khabibulin frankly.

That's about the only positive that I saw that game. The Hawks outclassed the Oilers in almost every aspect of the game. Yee.

#11 OFFLINE   Big Chief Tomahawk

Big Chief Tomahawk

Chicago Black Hawks

• General Manager
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,810 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:59 PM

They got a point. Thanks to Khabibulin frankly.

Man. I don't know about that. I was down on that end of the ice, and he gave up A LOT of bad rebounds. Just seemed like either the puck was bouncing or our guys were deeper toward the net so they couldn't bang it back in. Could've easily been a 5 goal game with a little better luck IMO.

#12 OFFLINE   damned

damned

Pacific Division

• League Executive
  • 40,054 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:41 PM

Man. I don't know about that. I was down on that end of the ice, and he gave up A LOT of bad rebounds. Just seemed like either the puck was bouncing or our guys were deeper toward the net so they couldn't bang it back in. Could've easily been a 5 goal game with a little better luck IMO.

Maybe that's true.

But when the Hawks played 90% of the game in the Oilers end with a bunch of kids chasing them around like a dog does a ball, what else would you attribute it to? The goalie made enough stops to get a point, the rest of the team didn't do much.

#13 OFFLINE   Big Chief Tomahawk

Big Chief Tomahawk

Chicago Black Hawks

• General Manager
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,810 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:07 PM

Maybe that's true.

But when the Hawks played 90% of the game in the Oilers end

I certainly appreciated that as my seats were on the side where the Hawks shot twice. Y'know...better sight lines and all. :lol2:

#14 OFFLINE   JR Ewing

JR Ewing

Checker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,425 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:73

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:38 AM

Plus

-Magnus Paajarvi was the only forward on the entire club not to finish minus in Corsi. EVERY other forward finished with more shots directed towards the Oilers net than they could muster towards the Hawks end.

-Khabibulin played a solid game.

-Nail Yakupov has a tendency to look a bit lost at ES, and there was one shift where he had 2 giveaway while not being pressured, but boy... Can he ever shoot the puck.

Minus

-Jordan Eberle had a miserable game. Passed up opportunities in shooting lanes and looked indecisve.

-Jeff Petry must have had a big bowl of intellectual chili before the game, and cut a massive brain fart in OT, leaving Hossa *completely* alone to dig away at the puck for the winner. Don't know what he was thinking.

-There's plenty of things that Ryan Smyth can still do, but playing top line minutes isn't among them. He just couldn't keep up at all.

Ralp Krueger

-I liked RFK putting Paajarvi on the 2nd line, and think he's a better fit there than Yakupov. Gagner and Hemsky are having uncharacteristically bad years at ES, and PRV is once again strong at this, and keeps the puck moving the right way. Keep him there for now; he's a player.

-Your best player is suspended. Your Captain is injured. You're playing the best team in the league who is sitting in the middle of a record for the most games without a regulation loss... And you decide to go with a guy who is your distant #2? Bad choice, pure and simple, and you deserve to lose.

JR

This point has been edited by JR Ewing: 27 February 2013 - 08:39 AM