Welcome to The NHL Arena

Welcome to The NHL Arena, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of The NHL Arena by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Caps Claim Volpatti

Claims Waivers

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   damned

damned

Pacific Division

• League Executive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,902 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:25
  • Position:Center

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:50 PM

The Washington Capitals have claimed forward Aaron Volpatti on waivers from the Vancouver Canucks.

The 27-year-old had one goal and 28 penalty minutes in 16 games this season.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=417031

#2 OFFLINE   damned

damned

Pacific Division

• League Executive
  • 39,902 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:50 PM

Damn, I was really hoping the Oilers would claim him.

#3 OFFLINE   Mishey22

Mishey22

1st Team All Star

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,781 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:22
  • Position:Goaltender

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:02 PM

They may have tried. Isn't priority based on how low in the standings your team is?

#4 OFFLINE   damned

damned

Pacific Division

• League Executive
  • 39,902 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:02 PM

They may have tried. Isn't priority based on how low in the standings your team is?

Yep, they may have been beaten to the punch for sure.

#5 OFFLINE   Mishey22

Mishey22

1st Team All Star

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,781 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:22
  • Position:Goaltender

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:08 PM

I thought they already had too many forwards though. 

Or, rather, will again once MoJo comes back. They said he's back on the ice, so it could be soon. 

#6 OFFLINE   JR Ewing

JR Ewing

Checker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,424 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:73

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:53 PM

Damn, I was really hoping the Oilers would claim him.

I think you'll be happier not watching him take too many penalties during his 6 or 7 minutes a night. He can play a bit in his own end, and he likes to hit, but I just don't think it would be a big difference maker for the team. I don't mind finding a replacement for Petrell, mind you. Can't play at ES.

JR

#7 OFFLINE   damned

damned

Pacific Division

• League Executive
  • 39,902 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:46 PM

According to radio the Oilers did put a claim in on him, as Mishey suggested the Caps just had the higher priority.

#8 OFFLINE   damned

damned

Pacific Division

• League Executive
  • 39,902 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:49 PM

I think you'll be happier not watching him take too many penalties during his 6 or 7 minutes a night. He can play a bit in his own end, and he likes to hit, but I just don't think it would be a big difference maker for the team. I don't mind finding a replacement for Petrell, mind you. Can't play at ES.

JR

I hear you.

Here is the thing though, we always talk about the Oilers needing more size and grit, yet when players like this come along we all, myself included, come up with reasons why the player isn't good enough to be on the Oilers team. I'm at the point that something is better then nothing I guess, make an effort to start addressing the problem already.

#9 OFFLINE   JR Ewing

JR Ewing

Checker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,424 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:39 PM

I hear you.

Here is the thing though, we always talk about the Oilers needing more size and grit, yet when players like this come along we all, myself included, come up with reasons why the player isn't good enough to be on the Oilers team. I'm at the point that something is better then nothing I guess, make an effort to start addressing the problem already.

I certainly don't mind more size and grit; nothing against it. For my part, I want players who can consistently play their part in keeping the play moving in the right direction. If they do it with size and grit, then great. If they do it with smart positioning, passing, etc, then that's great, too, but I don't feel a personal need to have players with a certain style play in certain areas ("hitters play on the 4th line ", etc) or players of a certain size play in others. I also wouldn't too many of one type of player, so I can limit the opposition's plan to neutralize that. Other than that, whoever keeps it at the other end the most gets the most at bats, followed by second best, followed by third and fourth.

Volpatti's a guy with 3 career goals and who, adjusted for quality of competition, has always been skating backwards more often than anything. He's not that guy I talk about above.

Pass.

JR

#10 OFFLINE   damned

damned

Pacific Division

• League Executive
  • 39,902 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:11 PM

I certainly don't mind more size and grit; nothing against it. For my part, I want players who can consistently play their part in keeping the play moving in the right direction. If they do it with size and grit, then great. If they do it with smart positioning, passing, etc, then that's great, too, but I don't feel a personal need to have players with a certain style play in certain areas ("hitters play on the 4th line ", etc) or players of a certain size play in others. I also wouldn't too many of one type of player, so I can limit the opposition's plan to neutralize that. Other than that, whoever keeps it at the other end the most gets the most at bats, followed by second best, followed by third and fourth.

Volpatti's a guy with 3 career goals and who, adjusted for quality of competition, has always been skating backwards more often than anything. He's not that guy I talk about above.

Pass.

JR

But the players the Oilers are deploying guys with less then three goals and are total pushovers on top of it. If they can't score regardless, I'll take the hitting, grit, and dick factor.

#11 OFFLINE   JR Ewing

JR Ewing

Checker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,424 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:21 PM

But the players the Oilers are deploying guys with less then three goals and are total pushovers on top of it. If they can't score regardless, I'll take the hitting, grit, and dick factor.

I like all of those things, as long as the puck goes right way ore often than not. Other than that, hitting for the sake of hitting doesn't contribute to wins. I get what you're saying, but a hitter who's stuck in his end all the time is of no value compared to a relative creampuff who spend more time at the other end much more.

That isn't to say the Oilers have the right guys, or that they've been using the waiver wire as well as they could, or that they shouldn't be on the look-out for guys who can be physical. I'd like them to improve in all of the areas, just with the caveat that we're talking about the right player, and not another negative event guy.

JR

JR

#12 OFFLINE   damned

damned

Pacific Division

• League Executive
  • 39,902 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:25 PM

I guess where we don't agree is that I don't think our current 4th line would spend anymore time in the other teams end then a 4th line with Volpatti on it, but at least you have a guy that may actually hit someone once and awhile and get in a fight here and there.

#13 OFFLINE   JR Ewing

JR Ewing

Checker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,424 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:51 PM

I guess where we don't agree is that I don't think our current 4th line would spend anymore time in the other teams end then a 4th line with Volpatti on it, but at least you have a guy that may actually hit someone once and awhile and get in a fight here and there.

Actually, we agree 100% on what would happen. It's just that I don't place much value in it. I get what you're saying: that at least there'd be some hit and some fights, and I'm saying that at MOST there'd be a few more hits (no correlation to winning) and a few more fights (even less of a relationship).

JR

This point has been edited by JR Ewing: 01 March 2013 - 02:51 PM