Welcome to The NHL Arena

Welcome to The NHL Arena, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of The NHL Arena by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Cleaning a Hockey Jersey

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_SharksGirl_*

Guest_SharksGirl_*

Posted 15 November 2008 - 03:24 AM

I received this question from a friend on our NHL Arena Sharks MySpace page tonight, and need some feedback.

Need help!

How do you clean a signed jersey?

The moron behind me spilled coffee on my Pavs sig on the back of my jersey.

I was hoping to get it dry cleaned during this road trip but the cleaner in Los Gatos said the sharpie sig would disappear.

Is this true?

Any pointers?

I have poked around the web, and a lot of people have said they have machine washed, hand washed, or dry cleaned their jersey and the sig didn't disappear. But that it will fade over time. But since their dry cleaner told them the above, I don't want to give them bad info.

Does anyone have experience with this personally, or have any good suggestions? I'm assuming they don't want to live with the coffee stain.

#2 Guest_InvisibleMan_*

Guest_InvisibleMan_*

Posted 15 November 2008 - 03:40 AM

I have no idea how you would clean it, probably needs to be dry cleaned, but why is the sig being worn?

frame the jersey and hang it up or put it somewhere so nothing happens to it.

I have a Mario Lemieux signed Pens jersey and there is no way in hell I would even consider wearing it. I don't plan on selling it, but I want to keep that sig in great condition none the less.

#3 OFFLINE   SoCalSharksGirl

SoCalSharksGirl

1st Team All Star

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,426 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:17
  • Position:Center

Posted 15 November 2008 - 03:55 AM

I have no idea how you would clean it, probably needs to be dry cleaned, but why is the sig being worn?

frame the jersey and hang it up or put it somewhere so nothing happens to it.

I have a Mario Lemieux signed Pens jersey and there is no way in hell I would even consider wearing it. I don't plan on selling it, but I want to keep that sig in great condition none the less.

I wonder that every time I see someone wearing a jersey with an autograph on it. :D

I know when I got my Sharks team signed jersey, I only took it out to take pictures of it, then put it in an air tight bag until I got a frame for it. It now hangs proudly on my wall! :shiny:

And I have no clue how you would clean a signed jersey, sorry :D

This point has been edited by SoCalSharksGirl: 15 November 2008 - 03:56 AM

#4 Guest_Bre_*

Guest_Bre_*

Posted 15 November 2008 - 04:00 AM

I wear mine signed because I can get autographs easily...

Now, washing jerseys...
One wash will probably not hurt the signature... if it was written hard enough, the ink should be able to withstand a washing...It's a risk you're just going to have to take... Spray some sort of stain remover on the spot affected, follow directions on the bottle, wash it, and hang dry your jersey. That's my advice...

This point has been edited by Bre: 15 November 2008 - 04:01 AM

#5 OFFLINE   SoCalSharksGirl

SoCalSharksGirl

1st Team All Star

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,426 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 15 November 2008 - 04:11 AM

Hey, tell whoever it is, to do a test wash. Write in the type of pen that the jersey was signed with on something similar in material type. Pour coffee on it, then wash. See what happens. I know it seems like a process, but this is a very valuable item. :D

Edit: I can't spell today

This point has been edited by SoCalSharksGirl: 15 November 2008 - 04:12 AM

#6 Guest_SharksGirl_*

Guest_SharksGirl_*

Posted 15 November 2008 - 04:18 AM

Hey, tell whoever it is, to do a test wash. Write in the type of pen that the jersey was signed with on something similar in material type. Pour coffee on it, then wash. See what happens. I know it seems like a process, but this is a very valuable item. :D

I hadn't thought of that. If no one has any definitive info from experience, I may suggest that. Or guess I'll suggest it regardless.

#7 Guest_InvisibleMan_*

Guest_InvisibleMan_*

Posted 15 November 2008 - 04:20 AM

dry cleaning would be the best way. sure it's expensive, but it'll make sure the sig stays.

when we still had the North Stars here, I saw Bob Gainey at a college game. I had him sign my white North Stars hat. Of course from being white, normal wear and tear made it a bit dirty. I got the hat dry cleaned, the sig stayed put. I could never wear the hat again because cleaning a fitted hat shrinks it, but I wouldn't wear it again anyway so it wasn't a problem.

This point has been edited by InvisibleMan: 15 November 2008 - 04:31 AM

#8 OFFLINE   SoCalSharksGirl

SoCalSharksGirl

1st Team All Star

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,426 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 15 November 2008 - 04:25 AM

I hadn't thought of that. If no one has any definitive info from experience, I may suggest that. Or guess I'll suggest it regardless.

As I like to say, I'm smarter than the average blond :D

#9 Guest_Mike P_*

Guest_Mike P_*

Posted 15 November 2008 - 12:17 PM

I received this question from a friend on our NHL Arena Sharks MySpace page tonight, and need some feedback.

I have poked around the web, and a lot of people have said they have machine washed, hand washed, or dry cleaned their jersey and the sig didn't disappear. But that it will fade over time. But since their dry cleaner told them the above, I don't want to give them bad info.

Does anyone have experience with this personally, or have any good suggestions? I'm assuming they don't want to live with the coffee stain.

My response would be, "That is what you get for wearing an autographed jersey".

#10 OFFLINE   scottmerms

scottmerms

50 Goal Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,282 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:7
  • Position:Left Wing

Posted 15 November 2008 - 01:16 PM

i'd imagine some people dont consider sigs be have any kind of value and just something that looks nice.

i havent framed mine yet because i want to get some more sigs on it.

#11 Guest_InvisibleMan_*

Guest_InvisibleMan_*

Posted 15 November 2008 - 03:04 PM

i'd imagine some people dont consider sigs be have any kind of value and just something that looks nice.

i havent framed mine yet because i want to get some more sigs on it.

if the sig has no value to you then why get it in the first place? clearly it means something to the person who got it or they wouldn't have taken the time to get it. put sigs aside so they don't get ruined is the best way to go about it in my opinion.

#12 OFFLINE   scottmerms

scottmerms

50 Goal Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,282 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 15 November 2008 - 03:10 PM

if the sig has no value to you then why get it in the first place? clearly it means something to the person who got it or they wouldn't have taken the time to get it. put sigs aside so they don't get ruined is the best way to go about it in my opinion.

youre asking the wrong person, i'd say ask somebody at a game walking around with a jersey autographed by the play who's name is on the jersey

#13 Guest_InvisibleMan_*

Guest_InvisibleMan_*

Posted 15 November 2008 - 03:20 PM

youre asking the wrong person, i'd say ask somebody at a game walking around with a jersey autographed by the play who's name is on the jersey

I got a stick from Bret Hedican when he was in college. I'm still looking to get it signed, but I won't even use that because it has meaning to me. Bret was awesome in college ! I think it's weird anyone would wear an autographed anything.

#14 OFFLINE   scottmerms

scottmerms

50 Goal Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,282 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 15 November 2008 - 03:22 PM

I got a stick from Bret Hedican when he was in college. I'm still looking to get it signed, but I won't even use that because it has meaning to me. Bret was awesome in college ! I think it's weird anyone would wear an autographed anything.

my jersey is autographed by 23 players, the easiest me to go around and try to see if i can run into somebody like Chico or Daneyko at a game is to wear it.

#15 Guest_InvisibleMan_*

Guest_InvisibleMan_*

Posted 15 November 2008 - 03:29 PM

If I were going to get a Devs jersey signed, it would have to be Scott Stevens, Jamie Langenbrunner, and super fan Kevin Smith :shiny:

This point has been edited by InvisibleMan: 15 November 2008 - 03:29 PM

#16 Guest_SJ Sharky_*

Guest_SJ Sharky_*

Posted 16 November 2008 - 02:39 AM

Thanks for the comments everyone.

First of all us Sharks fans proudly wear our signed jerseys.

Yea, they might be worth some money but our players are very accessible and are willing to sign anything at anytime. Heck we saw Crosby walking down the street by himself a couple of weeks ago. The beauty of hockey in California! Ha-ha!

We've been a season ticket holder for 3 weeks and we have sigs from every player, a game used stick from Nabby, signed game putts by everyone, tons of signed pics, etc...

Now to my jersey....

There are brown coffee spots on he number but not actually near the sig. I was thinking of using a bleach pen to try to remove the coffee spots but I'd hate for the bleached areas to look worse than the coffee, if that's even possible.

I took it to a well respected dry cleaner in Los Gatos and they told me the sig (even though a sharpie) would vanish.

I'm sure I could get another sig without a problem but I'm worried about getting a replacement number and what that would cost to stitch onto the sweater.

Thanks again for all of the help.

Go NHL and go Shark's!

#17 Guest_BluzNBirds0503_*

Guest_BluzNBirds0503_*

Posted 16 November 2008 - 02:42 AM

I have a jersey with a lot of signatures on it and was reluctant to wash it for a LONG time... I finally did decide to wash it just last week.

I washed mine on delicate with cold water..

The jersey was nice and clean and it didn't affect the signatures one bit.

#18 Guest_SharksGirl_*

Guest_SharksGirl_*

Posted 16 November 2008 - 02:44 AM

YAY, you signed up!! :smallMON: Everyone around here is really helpful.

And very cool Bluz... definitely some good first hand info right there.

#19 Guest_InvisibleMan_*

Guest_InvisibleMan_*

Posted 16 November 2008 - 03:39 AM

First of all us Sharks fans proudly wear our signed jerseys.

Yea, they might be worth some money but our players are very accessible and are willing to sign anything at anytime. Heck we saw Crosby walking down the street by himself a couple of weeks ago. The beauty of hockey in California! Ha-ha!

We've been a season ticket holder for 3 weeks and we have sigs from every player, a game used stick from Nabby, signed game putts by everyone, tons of signed pics, etc...

Now to my jersey....

There are brown coffee spots on he number but not actually near the sig. I was thinking of using a bleach pen to try to remove the coffee spots but I'd hate for the bleached areas to look worse than the coffee, if that's even possible.

I took it to a well respected dry cleaner in Los Gatos and they told me the sig (even though a sharpie) would vanish.

I'm sure I could get another sig without a problem but I'm worried about getting a replacement number and what that would cost to stitch onto the sweater.

Thanks again for all of the help.

Go NHL and go Shark's!

did they say why the sig would vanish? i got my hat dry cleaned and it was just fine. material of the number? type of pen used? what's the issue?

#20 Guest_k4sum1_*

Guest_k4sum1_*

Posted 16 November 2008 - 11:59 AM

If the stain is not very big, you could always try one of those tide sticks.