Welcome to The NHL Arena

Welcome to The NHL Arena, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of The NHL Arena by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Arena Weightloss

• Please log in to reply
1172 replies to this topic

#1161 OFFLINE   Vader

Vader

Metropolitan Division

• League Executive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,236 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:94
  • Position:Left Wing

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:52 PM

So, the wife and I started the exercise thing again today. Took a 8.25 mile round trip bike ride into town and back. We'll see if we keep it up this time...

#1162 OFFLINE   Tashimojo

Tashimojo

50 Goal Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,330 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:33
  • Position:Goaltender

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:59 PM

I had a small glass of soda for the first time in a week, and I can honestly say that it was gross. It's weird because I really loved soda, but I couldn't wait for it to be done so I could go back to my water.

I lost almost 5 lbs this week by just quitting soda and making my portions a bit smaller. I'm excited to where this is heading.

Isn't it sorta amazing how quickly your tastebuds adjust?

#1163 OFFLINE   Chris TMC

Chris TMC

Sniper

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,699 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:4
  • Position:Left Defense

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:00 PM

Would one of those little magic bullets work?

Oh...and good luck!

The reviews say they are fine for juice mixes and light fruits, but not for vegetables/roughage... I am looking for something for hardcore veggies. :)

So- I worked with a trainer for the first time today! We mostly worked on form (which is where I need the most help) but it was not strenuous or anything. I was concerned that I didnt "push" myself enough, but he assured me that beginning on strength training is not about working til Im hurtin, its about just working consistently. Im trying it his way. I feel great so far tonight! :smile:

This point has been edited by Chris TMC: 02 April 2012 - 08:01 PM

#1164 Guest_Sfak8_*

Guest_Sfak8_*

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:51 PM

Today, I hit the 100lbs lost mark.

#1165 OFFLINE   SgtFrenchy

SgtFrenchy

Power Forward

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,478 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:29
  • Position:Right Defense

Posted 06 April 2012 - 03:49 PM

Congrats!

#1166 OFFLINE   Vader

Vader

Metropolitan Division

• League Executive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,236 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:36 PM

WAY TO GO!!!

#1167 OFFLINE   Tashimojo

Tashimojo

50 Goal Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,330 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 13 May 2012 - 11:14 PM

You may have heard of the upcoming HBO documentary on America and it's weight problem... if you plan on watching it, keep in mind to take what they're saying with a grain of salt. Here's a really great read pointing out the obvious, which is that we've been hearing the same weight loss programs pushed forth while America only gets fatter.

Most of my favorite factoids about obesity are historical ones, and they don’t make it into the new, four-part HBO documentary on the subject, The Weight of the Nation. Absent, for instance, is the fact that the very first childhood-obesity clinic in the United States was founded in the late 1930s at Columbia University by a young German physician, Hilde Bruch. As Bruch later told it, her inspiration was simple: she arrived in New York in 1934 and was “startled” by the number of fat kids she saw—“really fat ones, not only in clinics, but on the streets and subways, and in schools.”

What makes Bruch’s story relevant to the obesity problem today is that this was New York in the worst year of the Great Depression, an era of bread lines and soup kitchens, when 6 in 10 Americans were living in poverty. The conventional wisdom these days—promoted by government, obesity researchers, physicians, and probably your personal trainer as well—is that we get fat because we have too much to eat and not enough reasons to be physically active. But then why were the PC- and Big Mac–-deprived Depression-era kids fat? How can we blame the obesity epidemic on gluttony and sloth if we easily find epidemics of obesity throughout the past century in populations that barely had food to survive and had to work hard to earn it?

These seem like obvious questions to ask, but you won’t get the answers from the anti-obesity establishment, which this month has come together to unfold a major anti-fat effort, including The Weight of the Nation, which begins airing May 14 and “a nationwide community-based outreach campaign.” The project was created by a coalition among HBO and three key public-health institutions: the nonprofit Institute of Medicine, and two federal agencies, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the National Institutes of Health. Indeed, it is unprecedented to have the IOM, CDC, and NIH all supporting a single television documentary, says producer John Hoffmann. The idea is to “sound the alarm” and motivate the nation to act.

Read it, it's good

#1168 OFFLINE   Tashimojo

Tashimojo

50 Goal Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,330 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 24 May 2012 - 07:51 PM

Aw yeah, garden is beginning to pay off... radishes!
Posted Image

Fresh veggies are awesome. Like, really fresh, not grocery fresh.

#1169 OFFLINE   Vader

Vader

Metropolitan Division

• League Executive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,236 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:40 PM

Aw yeah, garden is beginning to pay off... radishes!
Posted Image

Fresh veggies are awesome. Like, really fresh, not grocery fresh.

Nice. We have a share in a local CSA and got our first box of the season today. Radishes, asparagus, turnips, scallions, rhubarb and spinach.

#1170 OFFLINE   SgtFrenchy

SgtFrenchy

Power Forward

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,478 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:51 PM

I got put on a diet today by my doctor to control my cholesterol, which is abnormally high for a 35 year old for some reason. It's really all the things I should be eating anyway, leaner meats and vegetables ect... Should be fun.

#1171 OFFLINE   SgtFrenchy

SgtFrenchy

Power Forward

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,478 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:18 PM

I just purchased Les Mills Pump from a friend who never used it for $40, a steal! So I guess I'll be starting that program next week.

Pump seems to be a bit more focused on what my fitness goals are than the P90X program I previously used. I like the idea of a weight based program, that's not as time consuming, to accompany my aerobic workouts. It seems to be a perfect fit.

#1172 OFFLINE   SgtFrenchy

SgtFrenchy

Power Forward

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,478 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:00 PM

So I get my test results back for my high cholesterol, everything came back higher! WTF?! I diet, lose 15 lbs, and it comes back higher? I don't get it. Why the hell am I suffering with trying to figure out what I can and can't eat, eating all the right things, and changing my whole life around just to get slapped in the face. I don't know why I friggin bother. :angry:

#1173 OFFLINE   SgtFrenchy

SgtFrenchy

Power Forward

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,478 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 09 September 2012 - 06:03 PM

I just purchased Les Mills Pump from a friend who never used it for $40, a steal! So I guess I'll be starting that program next week.

Pump seems to be a bit more focused on what my fitness goals are than the P90X program I previously used. I like the idea of a weight based program, that's not as time consuming, to accompany my aerobic workouts. It seems to be a perfect fit.

I still haven't used this yet because the collars on the weight bar were junk. They wouldn't hold the weights on, which is probably why I got it so cheap. I purchased some $20 collars that should fix the problem. Hopefully I can start Next monday.