Welcome to The NHL Arena

Welcome to The NHL Arena, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of The NHL Arena by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Nylander Wants to Go

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_exwhaler_*

Guest_exwhaler_*

Posted 02 August 2009 - 06:43 PM

Over at the HF Boards, a regular poster dropped a link to an interview that Nylander has done for a Swedish freelancer's blog (Marie Hallman). The poster also included a translation of certain quotes:

- I have two years left on my contract, but I want to be traded and I've talked about my situation with the management. It's not hard to understand that I won't be playing there anymore. But we're both on the same page.

- The KHL is not an option. I want to play in the NHL. But I can't stay in Washington, not in the role I've been given. There has to be a change if I'm to stay.

- I'm used to these kind of situations, with my history. It's hockey, I know how it works over there. Since I have a no move clause they can't ship me without my consent, so I can wait until something that feels good turns up. I'm not worried.

- Hmm... I can't say I have a favorite team that I want to go to, but Edmonton would have been fun to try. Last time around I chose Washington because I had close friends there. But it's going to be tough for them to fit me under the cap.

Here's the article, if anybody can speak Swedish.

#2 OFFLINE   Bean

Bean

Checker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,131 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:22
  • Position:Left Defense

Posted 02 August 2009 - 07:05 PM

I don't fully blame Nylander, as the Caps gave him the NMC, but come on, don't be Heatley.

He wants to go, the Caps want him to go, but he wants to wait for the "right" situation. Of course he's not worried, as if he doesn't like the potential trade, he'll still get paid by the Caps to sit in the press box.

I can't see Edmonton as an option with the way he or his manager screwed up a contract with them and then came to the Caps originally. Big controversy there, and I can't see Edmonton wanting him now.

He just needs to go.

#3 OFFLINE   capscrazy

capscrazy

20 Goal Scorer

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,642 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:1
  • Position:Goaltender

Posted 02 August 2009 - 08:09 PM

nothing would make me happier than for him to go.

#4 Guest_HockeyMadchen_*

Guest_HockeyMadchen_*

Posted 03 August 2009 - 08:03 AM

nothing would make me happier than for him to go.

Agreed!

The Caps just need to try and move him as quickly as possible now. Take Nylander and we'll throw in a slightly used Jose!

#5 OFFLINE   Flipper

Flipper

Sniper

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,285 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:53

Posted 03 August 2009 - 12:26 PM

Agreed!

The Caps just need to try and move him as quickly as possible now. Take Nylander and we'll throw in a slightly used Jose!

Sadly, we will need tohold onto Jose now that Johnny is gone. Otherwise it's two rookie goaltenders running the asylum. Of course, Hershey now has three goalies on the roster...hhhhmmm....

#6 Guest_exwhaler_*

Guest_exwhaler_*

Posted 03 August 2009 - 02:41 PM

Japers Rink now has the whole interview translated, including this tidbit:

According to Nylander, coach Boudreau has made his opinion clear;

"He told me he didn't think I was good enough. That's pretty straight-forward to me." [Ed. Note: Ice Warrior translated the same line as "He has told me that I am not good enough. A pretty clear message."]

Yow.

#7 OFFLINE   Flipper

Flipper

Sniper

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,285 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 03 August 2009 - 02:45 PM

Has Gabby been reading the Official Caps Message Boards again???

#8 Guest_exwhaler_*

Guest_exwhaler_*

Posted 03 August 2009 - 02:52 PM

There's a lot unsaid behind that statement. Remember, Nylander complained to the Post early last season about how he was being handled by Gabby, and my impression based on gameplay was that Nylander stuck to his style of play no matter how much it clashed with Boudreau's system, which probably created a good deal of friction and frustration on both parts.

Also, according to that translation, Jagr's trying to get him to come to the KHL:

One option that's been talked about a great deal lately, has been going to Russia - where former NHL star Jaromir Jagr is currently playing. Jagr has been in touch with Nylander on several occasions. Nylander and Jagr were teammates on the New York Rangers and formed a formidable one-two punch for the Blueshirts.

"He's called me many times to check on my progress. But I can't just break the deal with Washington, says Nylander."

Sounds like Nylander is actually open to going to the KHL--he's going to honor his contract with the Capitals (why wouldn't he?), but the Capitals could loan him to the KHL of they can work out an arrangement. Which makes the Omsk GM's recent comment all that more interesting....

#9 Guest_capsfanin425_*

Guest_capsfanin425_*

Posted 03 August 2009 - 02:56 PM

Japers Rink now has the whole interview translated, including this tidbit:

Yow.

I'm fine with Bruce calling him out like that in private (I don't think he has said so much in the press like that), so Nylander isn't gaining any sympathy from me on that while bringing it up to the press (or whatever freelance bloggers are). He's making $4+ million a year, go earn it old man!!! Use that as motivation or something, show us you have something left in the tank and can still contribute. Stick it to Boudreau if he doesn't think you're good enough (which I agree with)

#10 Guest_Rattler_*

Guest_Rattler_*

Posted 03 August 2009 - 04:14 PM

By now, some of you may have read Michael Nylanders comments in an article published today in Sweden in which the veteran center is quoted as saying Boudreau told me I wasnt good enough. Japersrink has a good translation of the interview here. Ive put in calls to Nylanders agent (Nylander gave the interview in Stockholm) and Coach Bruce Boudreau (whos in Toronto) to see what theyve got to say about the comments. Well see where this thing goes, but Nylander has finally decided to break his silence about his situation in Washington after declining to discuss the matter during the playoffs.br clear=both style=clear: both;/
br clear=both style=clear: both;/
a href=http://ads.pheedo.com/click.phdop=1img alt= style=border: 0; border=0 src=http://ads.pheedo.com/img.phdop=1//a

View the full article

#11 Guest_PHocks81_*

Guest_PHocks81_*

Posted 03 August 2009 - 06:03 PM

Sadly, we will need tohold onto Jose now that Johnny is gone. Otherwise it's two rookie goaltenders running the asylum. Of course, Hershey now has three goalies on the roster...hhhhmmm....

Theo is going to have a good year this year because its a contract year. He has a history of playing over his boundaries in contract years.

#12 OFFLINE   Bean

Bean

Checker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,131 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:22

Posted 03 August 2009 - 08:33 PM

Boudreau denies making statemet to Nylander

#13 Guest_Rattler_*

Guest_Rattler_*

Posted 03 August 2009 - 06:28 PM

Coach Bruce Boudreau denies telling Michael Nylander that he wasnt good enough to play for the Caps as the veteran center was quoted as saying in a Swedish report earlier today. I didnt speak to Boudreau directly -- hes running his Golden Horseshoe hockey school in St. Catherines, Ont., this week -- but he issued a brief statement through a team spokesman. I do not have any recollection of saying that to Michael, Boudreau said. That is not my style, and not something I would say. Barring a trade in the coming weeks -- a development that, at this juncture, seems unlikely given No. 92s no movement clause, age and cap hit -- its clear that Nylander and Boudreau must find some common ground or this will become a distraction for the Caps next season.br clear=both style=clear: both;/
br clear=both style=clear: both;/
a href=http://ads.pheedo.com/click.phdop=1img alt= style=border: 0; border=0 src=http://ads.pheedo.com/img.phdop=1//a

View the full article

#14 OFFLINE   Flipper

Flipper

Sniper

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,285 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 03 August 2009 - 09:45 PM

I'm getting dizzy...

#15 OFFLINE   **LS**

**LS**

Atlantic Division

• Commissioner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,337 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:40

Posted 03 August 2009 - 10:46 PM

Let's wait for the obligatory blaming of the translater....

#16 Guest_exwhaler_*

Guest_exwhaler_*

Posted 04 August 2009 - 09:11 AM

Wanna take a poll when the obligatory closed door, one-on-one meeting takes place?