Welcome to The NHL Arena

Welcome to The NHL Arena, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of The NHL Arena by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Theodore or Varlamov?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_FloridaFlyer86_*

Guest_FloridaFlyer86_*

Posted 14 August 2009 - 04:04 PM

Not sure if this was asked before, but I am curious to see what the Caps faithful have to say. We have heard opinions from just about everyone who have their hands in the Capitals organization. Well it is time for the fans to voice their opinions.

Who do you guys want to see between the pipes on opening night?

#2 OFFLINE   damned

damned

Pacific Division

• League Executive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,716 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:25
  • Position:Center

Posted 14 August 2009 - 04:35 PM

The player that earned the spot through camp.

#3 Guest_Fallschrimyager_*

Guest_Fallschrimyager_*

Posted 14 August 2009 - 05:53 PM

That's it exactly. We have Theo who in contract years tends to shine. go figure. We have two young bucks who want his job. I think BB did and excellent job of saying if you want the job, come get it.

Having said that, it needs to be a consistently earn the job deal. It may be Theo's to lose but that doesn't mean he has a quarter seasons lee way to figure it out.

Bottom line is Theo to start unless Varly smokes him in training camp/preseason.

#4 Guest_scotta99fan_*

Guest_scotta99fan_*

Posted 14 August 2009 - 07:44 PM

Unlike other positions in hockey, goalies seem to not need the same time to develope and realize their full potential. Based on what Varlamov showed us in the playoffs last season, I see no reason to think that he couldn't be the Capitals starting goaltender, Theodore on the otherhand, self-destructed.

Varlamov saw an opportunity and he siezed it. I say, make Theodore take it back, afterall he was the one who lost it to begin with. :spiteful:

This point has been edited by scotta99fan: 14 August 2009 - 07:46 PM

#5 Guest_Capitalschick12_*

Guest_Capitalschick12_*

Posted 14 August 2009 - 08:30 PM

im thinking bb is gonna put theo in the net to start out its really only between him and valry and tell me if im wrong but michael is staying up in hershey. but we just have to wait and see what goes.. but hey theo did get us alot of wins with some help from johnson.

#6 OFFLINE   Flipper

Flipper

Sniper

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,285 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:53
  • Position:Left Defense

Posted 14 August 2009 - 09:02 PM

im thinking bb is gonna put theo in the net to start out its really only between him and valry and tell me if im wrong but michael is staying up in hershey. but we just have to wait and see what goes.. but hey theo did get us alot of wins with some help from johnson.

I think you're right about Nuevirth. The only way he Makes the squad opening night is if either Varlamov or Theodore gets hurt or traded. Nuevirth will take the number one spot in Hershey giving him the experience he will need to grab a spot next season. Speaking of which, this may be a contract year for Theo, but I'm more than willing to bet he plays with another team next year. The team will not be in a good salary cap position to hold onto his salary.

As for who starts, I'll withhold my judgment until after the first couple of pre-season games are done. Either guy could very well start on opening night depending on how training camp goes.

#7 Guest_Capitalschick12_*

Guest_Capitalschick12_*

Posted 14 August 2009 - 09:39 PM

I think you're right about Nuevirth. The only way he Makes the squad opening night is if either Varlamov or Theodore gets hurt or traded. Nuevirth will take the number one spot in Hershey giving him the experience he will need to grab a spot next season. Speaking of which, this may be a contract year for Theo, but I'm more than willing to bet he plays with another team next year. The team will not be in a good salary cap position to hold onto his salary.

As for who starts, I'll withhold my judgment until after the first couple of pre-season games are done. Either guy could very well start on opening night depending on how training camp goes.

well thats good nuevirth is staying there. im sure i will get to see him more sence im probly gonna go to more bear games then caps(dad likes how cheep the seats are) what sucks is that it would be a three hour trip to get to hershey and to get a hotel room for the night so in a way we would still be using the same money we do at a caps game.

#8 OFFLINE   Flipper

Flipper

Sniper

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,285 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 14 August 2009 - 10:13 PM

well thats good nuevirth is staying there. im sure i will get to see him more sence im probly gonna go to more bear games then caps(dad likes how cheep the seats are) what sucks is that it would be a three hour trip to get to hershey and to get a hotel room for the night so in a way we would still be using the same money we do at a caps game.

Yeah, but at Caps games, there's no Chocolate World! That's worth the trip on it's own.

#9 Guest_Capitalschick12_*

Guest_Capitalschick12_*

Posted 15 August 2009 - 10:46 AM

Yeah, but at Caps games, there's no Chocolate World! That's worth the trip on it's own.

oh yess! how did i forget about that. but i liked the park and the zoo america alot better so i hope they will be open lol.but haha thats gonna put even more money in "hershey bears games" pot.

#10 Guest_scotta99fan_*

Guest_scotta99fan_*

Posted 15 August 2009 - 03:31 PM

It just dawned on me, but I think it is a valid point.. The Capitals didn't hire Artūrs Irbe for Theodore's benefit. Varlamov must be the man in managements eyes.

#11 Guest_Capitalschick12_*

Guest_Capitalschick12_*

Posted 15 August 2009 - 05:43 PM

It just dawned on me, but I think it is a valid point.. The Capitals didn't hire Artūrs Irbe for Theodore's benefit. Varlamov must be the man in managements eyes.

umm i guess that would be a good point and all cuz he knows russian and all. but u really cant say varly is gonna be #1. im not 100% sure how the relationship was last season with the other coach. but it does make sence.

#12 OFFLINE   Flipper

Flipper

Sniper

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,285 Points:
  • Team:

Posted 15 August 2009 - 09:48 PM

umm i guess that would be a good point and all cuz he knows russian and all. but u really cant say varly is gonna be #1. im not 100% sure how the relationship was last season with the other coach. but it does make sence.

Varlamov doesn't speak English. That definitely had an impact on Prior's ability to coach him. Irbe's hiring should alleviate that issue.

#13 Guest_Capitalschick12_*

Guest_Capitalschick12_*

Posted 16 August 2009 - 12:28 AM

Varlamov doesn't speak English. That definitely had an impact on Prior's ability to coach him. Irbe's hiring should alleviate that issue.

ohh ok...thought he knew some.... now is semin ever gonna learn english? i know he knows "bad words" from when i see it on tv. but really hes been here for how long and knows not alot.

#14 Guest_DoctorBluto_*

Guest_DoctorBluto_*

Posted 16 August 2009 - 11:00 AM

Theodore was only 1-2 against the Canes last season so he gets my vote.

#15 Guest_scotta99fan_*

Guest_scotta99fan_*

Posted 16 August 2009 - 11:20 AM

I am very reserved in saying this, but Varlamov reminds me of Tretiak.

#16 OFFLINE   Bean

Bean

Checker

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,131 Points:
  • Team:
  • Number:22

Posted 16 August 2009 - 05:25 PM

ohh ok...thought he knew some.... now is semin ever gonna learn english? i know he knows "bad words" from when i see it on tv. but really hes been here for how long and knows not alot.

I don't know why people still perpetuate this rumor that Semin doesn't know English. He knows it fine. I know people that have heard him speak and it's just a matter of he just chooses to not speak in English or do interviews much.

#17 Guest_Capitalschick12_*

Guest_Capitalschick12_*

Posted 16 August 2009 - 07:16 PM

I don't know why people still perpetuate this rumor that Semin doesn't know English. He knows it fine. I know people that have heard him speak and it's just a matter of he just chooses to not speak in English or do interviews much.

well i know he does not like meeting the fans alot and all i just thougth it was that he didnt know english all that well. and i heard that ovie was teaching him but hes not 100%

#18 Guest_Top Shelf_*

Guest_Top Shelf_*

Posted 25 August 2009 - 01:47 PM

I really don't know why it has to be one or the other. I say play the hot hand at the time and put them between the pipes.

#19 Guest_zms30_*

Guest_zms30_*

Posted 27 August 2009 - 10:35 PM

Same situation as Anaheim.. what have you done lately? Varlamov should start.

#20 Guest_Bobnjdgl30_*

Guest_Bobnjdgl30_*

Posted 28 August 2009 - 12:48 PM

Theodore will not be back after his contract expires considering Washington has two goalies more than capable of playing at the NHL level.

Varlamov should be given a sufficient amount starts to groom him for the starting role next season.